They don't look like much, but they sure were difficult. Spatial thinking is not my strong suit so it took me a bit to figure out how to put these together. At first I was going to use 2 pieces of cardboard and just put a larger rectangle onto a narrower one. Simple, yes? But then I had to get all fancy pants and decided I wanted wood windows with mitered joints. These don't actually match the ad I'm working on but they are what I want in my hangout so they won out.
To put these together I used a Easy Cutter and wood glue. The cutters are at Michaels and Joanns. With a 50% off coupon mine came to $12.50. ^_^ They cut through small pieces of wood like butter and I highly recommend them. The wood is regular size craft (popsicle) sticks. I only had the jumbo kind so I had to break my "no new craft items" rule and spend $2.47 on a pack of 150 at Walmart. Considering how many sticks I wasted and how many are warped or misshapen, I might get 10 finished windows.
My little ledge is so freakin' adorable! The window panes are cut from the Fairy Barbie box. It had little stars and butterflies embossed in the plastic. Although I used black tape to outline the panels I may remove that in the end. Depends on the overall look of the dio.
In concession to the ad I did paint them white. I should have gessoed them first. I only have cheap poster paint and even though I applied 6 coats, it's still not as white as I would have liked. I cut openings into a file folder to see how they might look up against a wall. For my hangout I'll probably leave them natural... because I'm out of white paint, lol.
Another thing I wish I had done was check the sticks for warps before I started. I usually make two of something at the same time so that way I'll already have a nice set if it works out. These were my first attempts and I will be using them regardless, but still, they are very wonky. Oh well, now I know how to do them better.