Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Just Dreamz at KMart

All my Kmart's are going out of business so I've been swinging by every weekend to see how low the toy prices are going to get.  They have since gone from 20 to 25% off.  In particular I'm keeping an eye on the I Can Be... Fashion Photographer.  See her in detail at [Pam's Blog] or boxed at [D7ana's Blog].

I get the feeling I'm going to miss out on her because even though they are still well stocked, the store might actually close before I get her at the price I want, which is 40% off of $14.99.  This is a gamble but I'm willing to risk it. I guess it's more about getting a low price on an "I Can Be" than about getting the doll itself. Which is weird since I was perfectly willing to pay for this thing which was $16.99 with only 25% off:


But hey, it's made of wood! I like wood furniture a lot, so it was worth the price for me.  I could tell it's not 1:6 scale, but whatevs... it's wood, yo.


These are the other sets in the series; Patio, Bathroom, Living Room and Dining.  They only had one of each so that's why I wasn't going to wait and see if the Bedroom Set was lower priced next week.  Even if the others got super low in price I don't think I'd get them.  They'd have to be like $5.

Out the box and pre-assembled.


Backside.  They are made of thick composite wood and are sturdy as heck.  Perfect for the rambunctious 3 year old or an old adult collector like myself. ^__^. 

Enough deboxing - let's bring out the scale models!


Fashionista body with a pivotal torso and Monster head.  I'm okay with this scale because it's a lounger, not a bed so her feet going over the edge doesn't bother me.  The armoire is too small for her though, so in her case I would make it an entertainment chest and poke a TV in it.


Monster High body with a Fairy head.  Because of her leg structure she can strike some nice poses and her feet do not go over the edge of the lounger when her legs are flat.


Bratzillaz body and head.  She does not have pivotal knees so her posing is limited.  Additionally, her head size is really throwing the scale of the items off for me.


Bratz articulated body with a Fairy head.  She also does not have pivotal knees, but she's so short that her posing options are plentiful and she looks natural in this setting.


Size comparison between a Bratz and Fashionista.  The Fashionista only makes sense if she's seated.  When she's standing she dwarfs the furniture.


The lounger padding is a thin piece of cardboard with fabric glued around it.  The pillow is glued to the top of the mattress and you'd probably have to heat it to take it off properly.  It was pretty easy to pull the padding off the lounger even though it was glued down.

I really like this set.  It's easy to repaint if you are so inclined and you can easily put in your own pad or pillows.  And don't forget, it's wood!

29 comments:

  1. Ah! The fascination of wood furnitures! I really loved this post and the comparison pics :)

    I have a question: does KMart have a Justin Bieber in concert playset on sale? I need the 1/6 scale instruments of that set, but on Ebay are highly over priced

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sergio, Justin Bieber and Monster High were the first things I checked when the prices were at 20% and they were gone already. However, not all Kmarts are closing so you can make purchases on line. I just checked though and I see individual Bieber dolls, but not the concert/back stage sets.

      Delete
  2. I like the wood furniture too! I would have past on it because it was pink but I now see that it might be easily painted. It looks like it is made well! I need it to go down a little cheaper! LOL! I will not keep my eye out for wooden furniture. Muff, you have started something!

    I love the fairy head and purchase one because of you! I love seeing all the bodies that you have put that head on. I thought I wanted her as a playmate for the new Stacy doll but finding a body that size in that complexion is going to be hard! Any suggestion?

    Also, I have a Disney VIP. I believe thier bodies are simular to MH doll. VIP hands have a wonky hand placement I was thinking about subbing HM hands. Do you know if that would work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms. Leo it's some nice thick wood and if you don't want to paint you could always cover it with contact paper for different looks for multiple dios.

      I do not have a Stacy so I'm really unsure of her dimensions. For no muss and no fuss, an articulated Yasmin Bratz is the best body and complexion for a AA Fairy head. You can use a Clawdeen Monster high but that takes some knob modification and you'll need another teen body anyway to transplant a new knob onto the Monster with glue.

      Look at you wanting to modify your VIP! I don't have one so I don't know how well it would work, but nothing ventured and all that. I would take the risk and pull on the elbow joint of the VIP while holding her upper arm. If the lower arm comes out clean with an unstretched peg then you will be able to simply insert a Monster's lower arm in in its place. If the fit is a little loose you can always super glue the elbow peg in because Monster's hands separate as well so you'll still be able to pull that off for easy dressing.

      If the peg is just stretching and not coming out then stop and push it back in if you don't want to damage it. If you are brave, pull it out anyway and use a small drill to hollow out the hole if any of the peg remained in it. Do it, do it, do it! Or not, lol. Let me know what happens!

      Delete
  3. Nice purchase! You can never have enough furniture!
    I'd paint this set (maybe black and/or grey?) and put them in display.
    If you ever decide to paint them and make a whole room around them, please show it. I know you can make a beautiful room with this furniture ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tali, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it color wise but I think I might want to try some simple contact paper or maybe even remove the doors and turn the armoire into something else. It's a fun little set to make into a project!

      Delete
    2. I know you're the right person to transform this set into something amazing for a diorama ;)

      Delete
  4. I love these sets. Besides being wood and easy to paint if you want to change color, they can be used in so many room styles. Totally darling in a young girl’s room that needs to be both functional and aesthetic. Can also see them painted in a heavier color to work as casual pieces in a more rustic setting. Don't let the size stop you; I repurpose IKEA dollhouse furniture. With the right use, it can work. Just look how good your girl looks using the bed as a comfy settee. Perfect!

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Holidays, Roville and thanks for all those great ideas, lol! I see why you are a dio goddess.

      Delete
  5. Kmarts are closing? Gah! Must be sure to check the ones near my house. And they seem to be a pretty good size despite not being 1:6. Some accesories would do the trick, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Verona, I'm not sure that Kmarts nationwide are closing because I'm still getting circulars in the mail. My stores have a sign inside that says they cant honor anything in the circulars though.

      Delete
  6. Hello from Spain: I like wood furniture. Your dolls are very good in that new furniture. You have a great idea because the wood is easier to paint in another color. Keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marta! I don't know why I like wood furniture so much but I'm glad I found this set.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the link ;-D

    I like wood furniture, too, and it's hard to find in playscale. At a good price.

    I love how you show the different sized bodies with the furniture. If the armoire were to be an entertainment center, it would do with the Fashionista body as well as the others.

    Thanks for allowing me and others to re-view these pieces for playscale re-use ;-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D7ana, I think many of my coupons have been used buying the wood furniture at Michaels. They don't have a lot at the right scale but it's always a sweet style when they do.

      Delete
  8. I see why you chose this furniture set. I love it. My Kmart went out of business early this year, but I don't recall ever seeing this set. It works really well with the Bratz and MH dolls.

    Great post Muff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Georgia Girl, it was over in the little kids section. On the back it says that it's distributed by Sears Brands so it maybe in their stores still.

      Delete
  9. This is a very lovely playset, Muff. The wood construct is an added plus. Thanks for using your dolls to share the scale.

    I hope you're able to get the Fashion Photographer Barbie before it sells out.

    Our K-Marts closed about 12 years or more. I was able to take advantage of their drastic doll and doll accessory reductions. I continue to enjoy a wooden doll trunk that was without a price tag. When I asked one of the associates the price, she gave me a price off the top of her head, $5. I grabbed it after asking her to place a price tag on it for the register.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DBG, I always feel like a scavenger at store closings. I remember when TG&Y and PicNSave went out of business. I was like, "Oh, no!," but it didn't stop me from trying to get as many bargins as possible.

      Delete
  10. Ohhh my my I love those wooden furniture,you are lucky to find them,nothing can beat the charm of wooden furniture in a dolly house!!!!!All your dolls look very trendy while posing on the lounger,regardless of their body type! ;)Beautiful pics,lovely composition.
    Btw thanks for mentioning my blog regarding "I can be fashion photographer" pics and info! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, that's it - wood furniture is charming indeed. I like the realism it adds to a doll world.

      Delete
  11. Wooden furniture are very beautiful. I congratulate successful shopping :)
    Merry Christmas and Happy new Year !!!
    Marille from Poland

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, though they aren't 1:6 they look pretty cool, I love them!! I'm sure you'll be able to use them in quite a few dios and make them fit perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Rossetti, I think a lot can be done with these wooden sets, especially if you are the crafty type who like to fiddle with stuff... like me, lol.

      Delete
  13. That lounger is really cute. It's always interesting and enjoyable to see your different doll bodies. The picture with the articulated Bratz body and the Fashionista body was pretty funny. That fairy head is one of the cutest faces. I need to try to find one in the store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vanessa, I have not seen the AA fairy in my area for ages. If I ever try repainting again I may get some of the caucasian ones because I do have articulated bratzs bodies ready for them.

      Delete