Sunday, December 2, 2012

Nie Feng "Life Action Figure"

I'm introducing a doll that I got a few months ago.  He just might be my "Favorite Doll of the Year," but the month ain't over, so he shouldn't get ahead of himself.  Anyway, Black Doll Collecting did a [post] trying to get info on a figure she acquired and I mouthed off that I had the same body but with an Asian character. I was wrong, lol, because their torsos are different.  Other than that, the rest of their limbs and joints are the same.  Here's my guy:

Box: Front and Back

Box: Front Panel and Cutout Interior

Nie Feng (Wind) is a character from a manhua (Chinese comic) called Fung Wan and was made into a movie called The Storm Riders.  Although the box is covered with images from the comic, the doll, pardon me - the action figure itself, seems to be based off the movie character more so than the comic.  The movie was produced in 1998 and the doll, oh sorry, the LIFE ACTION FIGURE was manufactured in 1999.




The coloring of his clothing is a little bland in my opinion. It's all very well made and the garments are of a quality, supple material, but overall, it's not doing anything for his character. Getting those boots off were torture and no way am I going to try to put them back on.


He has the best articulation of any doll I have - no contest. His joints do make this odd clicking noise when you move him, kinda like a Geiger counter.  His hair is rather heavy though so his head tends to lean back.  Probably doesn't help that I tried to pull his head off and may have loosened the ball joint.

 

His body closely resembles that of the Power Team guys but he has four more points of articulation at the wrists and ankles. The best thing though is that he doesn't have the awkward, protruding hip/butt section that the PT dudes have.


I've had the movie his character is from since 1999.  It's okay.  Achievements in special effects have grown tremendously so watching it today isn't as awe inspiring as when I saw it twelve years ago.


A character still from the movie.


The reason I think this figure is based on the movie is because the box shows the character from a later arc in the comic series in which he wears an eye patch.  However, at the end of the movie he still has both peepers.


I got this guy at Tuesday Morning for $4.80.  Yeah, you read that right.  Talk about an ultimate score.  This particular TM seems to be stuck in a land before time because they have some really old stuff at some super awesome prices.  Everything is always $2 less than the box says and then I got 40% off on top of that.  I went to another TM trying to find a second Nie Feng or the other released character figure (Cloud) but no luck so far.  There are 2 more TMs in my area though. ^_^  I'll get to them someday.

23 comments:

  1. I like him, Muff. I appreciate the detailed views and review. Like wind, his hair makes him look as though he is in perpetual motion. Can't beat the price.

    I hope you're able to find the other characters.

    I have the PTE guy. He remains in his SWAT police gear complete with weapon. He's one of two "freed" guys that remain strapped.

    Thanks again for following through and sharing Nie Feng with us.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, DBG and you're welcome. Our guys don't match like I thought they did, but close enough, lol.

      Delete
  2. Awesome review. I like him a lot and am so impressed with his body. Congrats for getting him at such a steal.

    Did you try heating his boots before taking them off? A blast from a hot hairdryer always helps me with the AF boots, both taking off and putting on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roville! I have never tried the heat method for removing shoes or heads. I was always worried about stressing the vinyl, but I guess that's better than a broken knob or prong.

      Delete
  3. Handsome guy :) I'm really loving the hair. Hope you're able to find the others. By the way, you always have great reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Adrian! Thanks for that compliment! ^_^

      Delete
  4. What a great character, I didn't know him and what a great action figure!!Only 4.80? WOW! You've been super lucky! I searched him on Ebay after reading this post and for the same guy Ebayers have prices between $ 36.95 - 44.95

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sergio when I first got him I went online and saw those prices. I felt extremely lucky to find the one I did!

      Delete
  5. Hello from Spain: this guy is very attractive. I had not seen before. I understand that he's your favorite doll this year. You make a very good buy and cheap. What luck! I I suppose you can change your clothes and he can wear Ken's clothes. We keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marta! I have not tried any of the Ken clothing on him but he does have small hips so they just may fit.

      Delete
  6. Must resist...Must resist.... It's always nice to see something 1:6 related to either manga, manhwa, or manhua.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Verona, I have other manga related figures, but like you said, it's my first one in 1:6.

      Delete
  7. Awesome find Muff my TM seems to have older toys too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya, Jay! The TM I found this at is over crowded with stuff. They are always having 25-40% off sales so I hope they aren't going out of business soon.

      Delete
  8. Applause! Love to read another Muff-review ;-D Good to see Dragon Nie Feng and the comparison with M&C Toys Power Team. Congratulations on finding him and at such a great price.

    I have a Dragon Ekin Cheng that I should "share" someday. Surprisingly, I like that his hair is molded long. (Usually, I don't.) Do you mind that his hair is molded or do you prefer rooted hair for your guys?,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dana, yes, you should share Ekin Cheng! I have seen many of the Hong Kong actor dolls in other peoples stories but I have never seen any in person. They are always so well crafted. I would love to have a Donnie Yen.

      One of the reasons I want to find another one of him is so I can cut his hair and see if I can pull his head off without damaging my original. I don't mind that his hair is molded, it's just that it's too much. I quite like the molded hair on the PT guy - on all the PT's actually. Theirs is styled and textured which is sometimes better than a crappy root cut.

      Delete
  9. Great review Muff! I was at Tuesday Morning this weekend, but he is was not there....maybe he will shown up soon. Thanks for showing height. I was curious and had taken a mental note to inquire and then I saw your pics of him and the PT guy. I have the osameguy, but with black gloved hands. Are they easy remove?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Georgia Girl! He was not a new release and his box was slightly damaged so I think he was pulled from the dregs and clearanced out. He is available on line and ebay at silly prices.

      PT gloves and hands are easy to remove. Just make sure you are holding onto the arm section below the elbow joint, not above it. Give the hand or glove a steady tug and it will pull right out.

      Delete
  10. He is kind of sexy, but I think he would be more so with hair that looked a little more realistic. You can't beat that price. Our TMs are having some really great deals, but I've opted to stay out. I do get their emails daily, though. As for the boots, if you really want to get them back on, you could just do a slit down the back. I'm sure you knew that, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vanessa, I hadn't signed up for any TM emails. I go there when I'm "feelin' lucky." I probably wont cut the boots just because they are not all that cool anyway.

      I want to cut his hair but I'm chicken I'll mess it up so unless I find another one to fiddle with I'm leaving his locs alone.

      Delete
  11. Oooh weee. Thanks for removing the word robot! I can really appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow!!! I love his outfit and his articulated body is just perfect!!! And he is handsome indeed, and so cheap! the only thing I don't like is his long plastic hair, he would look better with short hair, I think...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya, Rossetti! I'm actually quite partial to long hair on males but I agree that he might look better with a different style.

      Delete